Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
  • Mazda reports strong Skyactiv sales, plans to boost output 25%

Hat tip to @xtmesisx for pointing me to this article.

Sauce: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/27/m...ut-25-percent/

MAZDA INCREASES SKYACTIV ENGINE OUTPUT BY 25 PERCENT

Popularity of SKYACTIV vehicles continues to grow worldwide
    Hiroshima engine factory to gain capacity as well as flexibility

Hiroshima, Japan, 27 August 2013. Strong demand for its new-generation SKYACTIV models has prompted Mazda Motor Corporation to boost SKYACTIV engine production capacity at its Hiroshima plant by one-quarter. When completed by the end of 2014, the expansion from 800,000 units to 1 million annually will also make the facility more flexible.

As part of the move, Mazda will install a new and highly versatile engine machining line at the plant. In addition, an existing line used to assemble MZR engines will be overhauled to also enable the production of SKYACTIV engines. Mazda offers a line-up of four-cylinder SKYACTIV-G petrol engines and SKYACTIV-D clean diesels.

Expanding production is a key part of Mazda's goal to increase global sales by 2016 to 1.7 million vehicles, some 80 per cent of which are expected to feature SKYACTIV technology. Beyond Hiroshima, SKYACTIV engines are currently manufactured at Changan Ford Mazda Engine Co. in China, where production began in June 2013. They will also be produced in Mexico at Mazda Motor Manufacturing de Mexico S.A. de C.V. starting in the fourth quarter of the current fiscal year, which ends in March 2014.
    Comments 6 Comments
      The Great NY -
      When I read output I immediately thought power production...lol
      MariusVT -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Great NY View Post
      This. They could definitely benefit from a few more ponies.
      Brorenzo -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Great NY View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by MariusVT View Post
      This. They could definitely benefit from a few more ponies.
      Would be cool. But I drive slow anyway.
      IHeartGroceries -
      Wait...the engines are assembled in CHINA?
      mjdub -
      Hopefully this means they have enough financial security to invest in some more powerful engines. A new 300hp SkyACTIV engine would be welcome in a CX-9 and Speed models, and my garage
      Lost Viking -
      Quote Originally Posted by IHeartGroceries View Post
      Wait...the engines are assembled in CHINA?
      Well yes, but probably only for cars sold in China. The 25% increase in production will take place at the Hiroshima plant in Japan. Last, they're planning to tool up a plant in Mexico, which is most likely where North American cars will get their engines in the future.