Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 500 USD, Received: 313 USD (63%)

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DIY: Adding An Aux Input To OEM Radio (2006-2008)

This is a discovery that somebody on 6Club found. I just figured we needed a 6Crew DIY for it. As far as I know, this only works for the 2006-2008 radios. This is a much cheaper alternative to the Syflex AuxMod. No, it doesn't allow you to control your iPod via the steering wheel...it's just a way to input audio into the OEM radio.

Materials:
    Phillips Head Screwdriver
    Socket Wrench with Extension and 10mm Socket
    Drill with Appropriate Drill Bit
    Cone-Shaped Sanding Bit for Rotary Tools
    Soldering Iron with Solder
    3.5mm (1/8") Stereo Audio Jack
    4-pin CD-ROM Audio Cable
    2-pin CD-ROM Audio Cable

You can find the jack at RadioShack (now called The Shack) or Fry's. The audio cables can be salvaged from an old computer or bought from Fry's.

First, make your cable. There are 3 pins on the stereo jack. The biggest pin will be the ground. The other two are your right and left channels. It doesn't really matter which side they are.

Cut off one end of your 4-pin CD-ROM audio cable. The three wires inside will be color coded (red, white, and black). The black is your ground. The other two are left and right...again, it doesn't matter which is which. Solder these to the pins on your stereo jack.

On the 2-pin CD-ROM audio cable, one wire will be yellow, the other will be black. Cut the yellow one on both sides of the cable. Leave the black one alone.

Set both cables aside, and move on to the part that involves the car.

Start by removing your center console. I won't cover that in this DIY because I've done it in another DIY here.

Take your radio to wherever there is plenty of room for you to work. There are several pink screws on the radio. Remove all of them.

There will be a piece of contraption that is connected to the front board. After the screws are removed, you'll be able to detach this from the rest of it.

Now pull the actual radio out. It will just slide out. Place it to the side.

On the plastic housing/bezel thing, there is a cover that goes where the tape deck would go if you had one. This cover is just held in by tabs. Remove this cover.

The stereo jack comes with a ring that will let you screw the jack into place. Take this ring off of the jack and find a drill bit that just fits inside this ring. I didn't actually have one that was the right size...I found the biggest one that fit inside.

Use this drill bit to drill a hole in the tape deck cover. The hole can be wherever you want it to be...it's all personal preference.

Try fitting the front of the stereo jack through the hole. If it doesn't fit, make your hole bigger. I used a cone-shaped sanding bit from a rotary tool set to make it bigger. It took some time, but eventually I got it just right.

Screw the ring into the jack to hold it in place on the cover.

Replace the cover into the bezel.

There is an empty connector with pins inside of it on the right side of the radio (if you're looking at the back of it). It is next to the antenna connector. We will be dealing with the bottom row of pins. When I number the pins, I'm going from left to right. Pin 1 and Pin 7 need to be connected together using the 2-pin CD-ROM audio cable. Connecting these two pins enables the Media button on the radio. Since you cut the yellow wire in that cable, it won't matter the plastic connector is also covering some of the top row pins. Pin 2 is the right channel, Pin 3 is the left channel, and Pin 4 is the ground/signal pin. Connect your 4-pin CD-ROM audio cable to these pins. You probably won't know wires on your cable are right and left, and it really doesn't matter. Just make sure the ground/signal pin is connected to the right wire.

Reassemble the radio and take it to your car. Plug it in, but don't put everything back right away. Grab your MP3 player or laptop and a 3.5mm male to male cable and test out your jack. The first thing you need to test, obviously, is that it even works. Next, you need to test that the right and left channels are correct. You might not really care if it's correct, and if that's the case, forget about it and just reassemble everything. If you do care, find a song that lets you easily distinguish between right and left. I used "Meant To Live" by Switchfoot (the very first part of the music is supposed to come out the left side, then it alternates). Listen to your test song on something else so you know which side is which. Then play it in the car, and if it doesn't produce the same results, unplug the 4-pin CD-ROM audio cable and switch the red and white wires. Test again, and it should be correct now.

Reassemble everything and enjoy your new aux-in jack!

Last edited by Freak4Dell; February 4th, 2010 at 06:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took ya long enough. Nice job tho. I could never get the front piece to come out. Looks good. Does your audio input have an open end or is it totally sealed? I was thinking if it would be possible to mount a red LED behind it so that it has a glow.

GARAGE
    PICTURES
    6Crew SoCal Chapter

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the input is completely open. I figure since it's high up, it won't get dirty...hopefully. Besides, a cable is plugged into it most of the time, so it's whatever.

I kind of want to add an LED, too, but I'm not sure how. It would be awesome to have a ring around the jack that glows, but I don't have the skill to pull something off that precise. I also thought about adding one next to it, but that wouldn't look good either, I don't think, especially with the rest of the backlighting looking so professional.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice write up. Although I have an '03 and this mod doesn't apply to me, I'm gonna rep ya!

Edit: as soon as I spread some reputation around!
    2003 PW 6s MTX, CPE CAI MAF-CI, TRS Mormoto bixenon lows 4300K, Apexcone 4300K integrated fogs in 55W, CAR_LED tails, Superbright LEDs, TB bypass, EGR mod, NGK Iridium IXs , 25% tint, clear sidemarkers, brakelight mod, SU MM, MS STS, Magnaflow CBE, Tokico Blues w/ MS Hatch springs, RX-8 wheels, Exedy stage 1 clutch and Fidanza FW
    How much you wanna bet I can throw a football over them mountains?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, one thing that I was thinking is using the pen caps. Hot glue the LED to one end and insert the cap to the other end.

Cup off the brown end until you can fit that end to the aux port rear. Insert the LED on the other end. Very cheap tho.

Crew Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um one question.....on the pins to connect the audio feed is it pins 2,3,4 or 2,3,5 because in the picture you have 2,3,4 connected but you said its pins 2,3,5?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, sorry...that was a typo. I'll fix it. Just connect it exactly like I did in the picture, so pins 2, 3 and 4.

Crew Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh okay sweet....i was trying to figure out how to connect them with 2,3,5 lol

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice write up just got my stuff to do this today thanks for the info!

^ No my car doesn't really look like this ;-(
    2008 Dark Cherry Mica 6i - HD Lip - Amber parking lights - Atx Shift boot mod - CF Eyelids

Crew Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i just hooked mine up...and idk why but mine really sounds like sh!t......did anyone else who do this end up like that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean it sounds like shit? I have heard that on some mp3 players, you want to hook a ground-loop isolator. That prevents noise from the engine noise interference. Also, what's your volume set to? Lastly, did you solder the cable to the aux input? Where the solder points clean?

Crew Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some songs are alright , some have alot of static, low volume...i figured it could be the cheap male to male cable

but their is no bass what so ever, i have the base up to 4

the volume is at 10

and i did solder them and they seem pretty clean

could my 3.5mm jack not be so great?

edit-----

it was my jack, i went got a new one soldered it up and it sounds alot better almost 100% clear a little static during the change of songs

great DIY
    Last edited by oh8mazda6; February 7th, 2010 at 06:32 PM.

Crew Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, this almost sounds too good to be true. ANyone tried to feed a satelite radio signal to it yet..

Also, when the mod is finished, you just push the AUX button to switch inputs to your newly created jack...correct...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might need some rework to get the aux mod to work in tandem with the sat signal.

Yes, you hit the Media button and the LCD shows Aux. You can now play music via the audio port. FYI, this only works on cars with a Media button, not MD Tape button like 03-05's do.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can plug a sat radio into the aux input without a problem, I'm sure. You just won't be able to use the OEM sat radio plus the aux input without some creative wiring, I don't think.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast