Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 500 USD, Received: 313 USD (63%)

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mazda 6 2.3L - can it handle a turbo?

I have a 2004 mazda 6 2.3L automatic with a 4 speed transmission, I have plans of adding a turbocharger to it but I was told that the transmission in the 6i's aren't able to handle it and is going to pretty much be trashed after so long of driving it. I'm not really to sure about if this is true or not.

My second question is, could I put in just the mazda 6s automatic transmission into my 4 cylinder auto and would it fit up right?

The thrid and last question is about how much would it cost to change an Automatic to a Manual? and is it really worth changing?

Thanks for all of your answers,, Ironshadow.
    Last edited by ironshadow; September 19th, 2010 at 09:47 PM.

No Net Persona, Just Me!! The Great NY's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ironshadow View Post
    I have a 2004 mazda 6 2.3L automatic with a 4 speed transmission, I have plans of adding a turbocharger to it but I was told that the transmission in the 6i's aren't able to handle it and is going to pretty much be trashed after so long of driving it. I'm not really to sure about if this is true or not.

My second question is, could I put in just the mazda 6s automatic transmission into my 4 cylinder auto and would it fit up right?

The thrid and last question is about how much would it cost to change an Automatic to a Manual? and is it really worth changing?

Thanks for all of your answers,, Ironshadow.

yes the ATX can take some boost. add an oil cooler for the tranny and it should be fine for 6-8psi on a decent sized turbo.

no you cant use the 6s atx on the 6i without changing a bunch of stuff and getting an adapter plate made. money money money

if you want to swap to an mtx. then try to find a good car to trade in for rather than doing the swap. if you want to do the swap then go head. no biggie, it is possible and has been done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad my transmission can handle the turbo, I'm not really looking into trading in my 6 anytime soon. ahaha

I was also wondering about how much do you think a Turbocharger would cost to install and tune.
    Last edited by ironshadow; September 19th, 2010 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you arent going to do any of the work yourself(Just a guess since you are even asking these questions)........ about 5k would be a guess on costs.

Quote Originally Posted by xkreedx View Post
    I wouldn't consider plasti dip an investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by GSM6 View Post
    I happen to greatly dislike seeing the same wheels over and over again on the 6. It's like there are more people on RX-8's than on the OEM 6 wheels. hah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ironshadow View Post
    I'm glad my transmission can handle the turbo, I'm not really looking into trading in my 6 anytime soon. ahaha

I was also wondering about how much do you think a Turbocharger would cost to install and tune.
    why are you only asking about the install and tune?

There are no turbo kits for our cars, so the prices for parts to build can range from

$ to $$$$$

my downpipe and midpipe came to 700.00 dollars and my tuning hardware came to around 900.00 after the device and various sensors were bought to fully utilize it.