Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 500 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Crew Trainee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2006 2.3 Acceleration Issue

I have been trying to track down an acceleration issue for the past month here is what I have done and a description of the problem.

I have a 2006 with the 2.3

First of all there is no CEL

The issue has to deal with the car bogging when you get on the throttle below 3000 rpms. Once the car heats up to operating temp the problem begins to show itself. It seems that the longer the car idles the worse the problem gets. It starts to happen first in second gear but the longer the car idles it quickly begins to affect 1st gear as well.

Warmer temperatures seem to make it worse as well. I live in Minnesota so the winter is cold and the problem isn't as bad but now that summer is rolling it is getting pretty bad. In town driving is pretty frustrating.

I have cleaned up engine grounds, changed out trandy fluid, replaced 02 sensors, replaced thermostat which all improved other issues but this main issue is still present. Keep in mind the first cold start of the day the car runs perfect until it heats up. Sitting at stop lights or letting it idle anywhere really makes the problem worse.

The best description of the problem I can give is the car sounds like a manual car when floor it in too high of gear and there isn't enough torque and it bogs. Problem is, this is an auto and it happens from a stop in first gear.

Any help or suggestions would me much appreciated.
    Last edited by Cbaker219; May 17th, 2017 at 09:35 PM.

Crew Trainee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm taking the car too the dealer Friday morning to see what they think. Hopefully I don't get the run around

Crew Trainee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turns out the Cat is melted.... soooo rather than having Mazda fix that for 838 bucks I'm going to do it myself for 200...

Does anyone know why a Catalytic Converter would melt? I should probably fix that issue as well

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How has the car been running? Misfires will kill cats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Garage
    Member's Rides Page

Thanks Hammer!

Sold January 21, 2016

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy. - Franz Kafka

Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action. - Benjamin Disraeli

"Drown in a vat of whiskey? Death, where is thy sting..." - W.C. Fields

Crew Trainee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
    How has the car been running? Misfires will kill cats.

I have not noticed any misfires and unfortunately I replaced the cat and it still has exactly the same issue. The only thing that improves the issue is colder weather

Crew Trainee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I just took the car to a guy who used to write service manuals for cars and runs his own repair shop and he seems pretty convinced it is an exhaust flow issue. The next thing I'm going to try is disconnecting the exhaust behind the cat and see if there is a clog somewhere there.

Crew Trainee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if this is related but for some reason whenever I fill the vehicle with gas the pump keeps clicking off as if it is full when it is far from full. Could that be some weird vacuum issue?

Crew Trainee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cbaker219 View Post
    So I just took the car to a guy who used to write service manuals for cars and runs his own repair shop and he seems pretty convinced it is an exhaust flow issue. The next thing I'm going to try is disconnecting the exhaust behind the cat and see if there is a clog somewhere there.
    OK. So I disconnected the rest of the exhaust and drove it around. It seemed to have less power which doesn't surprise me because the car is obviously tuned to run with exhaust. My findings were inconclusive. I have determined that the problem is caused by idling and not driving, so I am going to take off the exhaust from the cat back and let it idle for a while then see if I can get it to repeat the issue

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you able to test for back pressure through the cats while you have all of it off?

-33.865685, 151.215184 | Upstate NY | NC | SC | FL | CA | AZ
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cbaker219 View Post
    I don't know if this is related but for some reason whenever I fill the vehicle with gas the pump keeps clicking off as if it is full when it is far from full. Could that be some weird vacuum issue?

that is usually indicative of an evap system issue due to the system not being able to properly vent the added pressure of filling new fuel.

could be evap canister is clogged, purge vent is stuck shut. check the purge solenoid while you are at it.

do you have a habit of "topping it off"?
    Me Wants Coilovers OR Springs! U haz!?...nvm..piggy bank's dry :c
    <Freak4Dell> i have like a 4" extension

Crew Trainee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=GerryB;703505]Are you able to test for back pressure through the cats while you have all of it off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using

I am not sure. Do you mean "is it possible" or "do I have the tools?" Either way I will check.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NurdR4G3 View Post
    that is usually indicative of an evap system issue due to the system not being able to properly vent the added pressure of filling new fuel.

could be evap canister is clogged, purge vent is stuck shut. check the purge solenoid while you are at it.

Awesome! Thanks for the info I will check all those things and keep you posted. I usually just fill it until the pump clicks off.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would involve a testing tool which you probably don't have. I think it can be rented.

Crew Trainee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NurdR4G3 View Post

Is there a purge valve and a canister vent valve or is there just a purge valve? After doing some looking around on the Web and other forums it seems like my issue would be with the canister and or the vent valve for the canister.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
    It would involve a testing tool which you probably don't have. I think it can be rented.

Awesome! I will head out and rent one and get it checked asap

-33.865685, 151.215184 | Upstate NY | NC | SC | FL | CA | AZ
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you may be able to access the vent solenoid underneath the car if you drop the rear center head shield by the gas tank.

I am not particular sure of how the 2006 is set up but should be similar to 03-05. We have something called the EVAP leak detection pump and it has an air filter.. the pump is similar the that EVAP vent I was talking about. It may be stuck closed.

our purge valve solenoid is located in the engine bay.

you can test both by removing it and apply a 12v source to actuate the solenoid to open and close.. then blow air through. If you get air flow when it's open and no flow when it's close.. in theory it works and has no blockage.

if it's the vapor canister that is the issue... yes, most likely the gas tank will need to be lowered some to gain access (on most cars, anyhow.. I haven't had the pleasure to replace our canister. wooo). Vapor canister can get clogged up by fine dust, spiders.. etc

I would also check to see if you have any obstruction in your fuel fill line.. seen that before too
    Last edited by NurdR4G3; June 1st, 2017 at 09:49 PM.

Crew Trainee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much, honestly this is a huge help. Very appreciated. I will keep you posted on what I find.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast