Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 500 USD, Received: 313 USD (63%)

User Tag List

Resident Freaker Outer Front 1ine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spark Plug Non-Foulers as an o2 CEL fix!

Ok, well there was a ton of controversy on whether or not this would work. As we all know, once you install headers on our car (especially catless headers), we get a nice CEL for the bank 2 sensor 2. What are our options at this point? Well, you can either buy an o2 simulator chip for $40, or you can buy two 18mm short spark plug non-foulers for $4 each and fix the CEL yourself. This is where the review comes in.

Installation:
    HERE IS MY DIY ON THE INSTALL (contains pics of both the install and the product you are looking for)

The install was extremely simple. You are going to be doing this install on the bank 2 o2 sensor 2. Just a little drilling into the non-foulers. I used two 18mm short spark plug non-foulers. I drilled one so that the o2 sensor could fit in it, and left the other one alone. Then screwed everything together and then screwed it in place on the headers, and I was good to go.

XxxMonoxideChild noted that #42002 is the part number for 18mm LONG spark plug non-foulers at AutoZone. If you can find them at your local auto store, then you can try out one long 18mm non-fouler as oppossed to two short 18mm non-foulers. However, I cannot: a) guarantee that one long non-fouler is long enough to house the o2 sensor w/o modification b/c I have not tried it, and b) guarantee that even if the o2 sensor fits in one long non-fouler that it will elimintae the CEL because of the unknown difference of air travel when comparing one long non-fouler to two short non-foulers.

Review:
    I installed my MSDS headers with a full cat delete last summer. Up until this non-fouler install I have always had a CEL because of my headers. I have had the spark plug non-foulers in now for over two weeks and I have not had another CEL since. I will give a 99.9% guarantee that these will work for your CEL caused my headers.

Where to Buy:
    I do not know the actual part number, but if you just go to your local AutoZone (or any other competent auto supplies store) ask them where their spark plug non-foulers are and then just look for two 18mm short spark plug non-foulers. They cost about $4 each.
    Last edited by Front 1ine; July 8th, 2009 at 02:58 PM.
    2003 Mazda6s MTX [Glacier Silver]
    - Magnaflow Catback Exhaust - Custom Performance Engineering Cold Air Intake w/ MAFci - MSDS Race Headers w/ Cat Delete - Street Unit 'Aggressive' Lower Engine Mount - Optimized Throttle Body [Custom] - WeaponX Coils - WeaponX Spark Plugs - Grounded Throttle Body [4ga wire] - EGR Mod - EGR Reroute/Delete -
    .:::206 WHP / 192 WTQ:::.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get the long one's. the short one's might need to be drilled out to clear the sensor. (i had to on mine)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XxxMonoxideChild View Post
    get the long one's. the short one's might need to be drilled out to clear the sensor. (i had to on mine)
    I'll be updating it soon including your post. I have never been able to find long 18mm. I honestly don't even know if they make them. Even online I could only find 18mm shorts. They do make 14mm short and long, but we are looking for 18mm.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Front 1ine View Post
    I have never been able to find long 18mm. I honestly don't even know if they make them.
    part #42002 at autozone are long 18mm ones

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated to an actual review. I moved the DIY part to a new DIY thread in, well....the Engine/Drivetrain DIY section.

Here is the DIY